Web or Internet Based Services
Follow the trail
Any internet services (sometimes known as Application Service Providers, or ASPs) not more specifically covered elsewhere.
- Contact communication, client management, online consultation etc.
- Project/Team working Shared files or calendars, task co-ordination.
- Web-based databases for membership processing or contact are on Membership software page.
- See Online Income Services for 'simple' donation systems.
- See Web service providers for email facilities or web hosting.
- Venue/resource booking, event management now on Events Services page.
including case/client management systems
Web systems which are readily usable to provide communication with members, partners; intranets or extranets (facilitating working across teams or organisations); general sector management and admin. There has been quite a turnover in the simpler (marketing-based) offerings, but at summer 2005 they may be settling down and systems covering other functions are coming in. Note overlap with Membership software page. ALSO NOTE: a few years on from when this page was set up it is probably time for it to disappear, given that web features are now common.
CharityLog although described as a web-based Contact Management system, revolves around a diary screen allowing the management of client related work e.g. booking a home visit, recording result, ensuring follow up, referral or other action. Will produce a variety of reports, for internal or funder use.
LampLight records service users, the work done with them, and produces detailed monitoring statistics, with Version 2 (March 06) dealing with outcomes as well as outputs. Functions for second tier organisations have been added. Costs £10 per month.
The Legal Case Management (LCM) system aims to help not-for-profit legal advice centres make better follow-ups of their cases, including client consultations and court events, as well as more efficient reporting. Open source written in/for Bulgaria but intention to adapt to UK requirements. Also see Free(code) details on developments.
- Democratic consultation via the Web E-Consultant is 'a web-based tool for electronic consultation comprising four main components: inform, participate, feedback and evaluate. The aim is to support and facilitate best practice in consultation.'
Communications, calendar, task coordination facilities.
Note: most of the following was compiled up to 2001 - some of the providers may have merged or ceased providing facilities.
- Try Meeting Wizard to manage meetings and events online.
- Mailing lists and internet communities Straight 'listservs' can be used to communicate with members, as well as discussion groups which people can join to talk about any issue of common interest. Try out Yahoo Groups or Topica.
- For project and work groups in different locations, or even for people sharing the same office, 'groupware' that allows you to share documents, calendars, to-do lists and address books can be very useful. Using the web replaces the need for highly sophisticated tools such as Lotus Notes to do this. Also try daptiv (was eProjects). The European Projectplace is a sophisticated professional tool. Groove "is a secure platform for building custom peer computing business applications that support the way people work together".
The internet/web approach used internally to the organisation, or restricted to partner organisations. Try intranets.com - post messages, documents, links, integrate selected web pages, with password access to www.your-org.intranet.com. Now (autumn 05) rebranded as Web Office.