Training - Online
Follow the trail
Online Courses (not generally about IT). AKA e-learning: "Internet or intranet based training that enables users to access training courses and learning materials on a desktop computer." Also more basic online tutorials.
- Course Suppliers page for providers of regular training courses.
- We also list Professional Development courses, generally leading to some sort of qualification.
- Training Resources for those involved in organising training at work (materials, info, web sites).
- Events, conferences and seminars are part of VoluntaryNews section.
These are gradually expanding in variety - all those below have much more than just IT subjects. IT trainers are under Computer Services.
See Professional Qualifications if you are looking for more in-depth online or distance training.
Specific sector interest
- Charity Learning Consortium Originally
set up in in 2001 by six charities looking to share resources, now
has wider membership.
- CharitySkills A range of
tutored online training courses for the sort of matters covered by VolResource.
Various other resources available for subscribers.
- Virtual Training Suite
A set of online tutorials designed to help students, lecturers and
researchers improve their Internet information skills. Topics include
Social Worker. Note - the site is not being updated after July 2011.
- Social Care Information and Learning
Services (SCILS) Learning and development solutions for staff throughout
social care, health and early years services.
- TrusteELearning (was Learning to Drive) is managed by Suffolk Association of Voluntary Organisations.
We expect more courses from our Qualifications/Development pages to appear gradually with online versions.
ALISON, developed in Ireland, has a mission "to enable anyone, anywhere to education themselves for free". Can arrange certification too.
Beginners.co.uk (was Freeskils) Over 250 'professionally developed' courses, and we previously spotted a Team Building Techniques, for instance.
ICS has a range of business, childcare and other courses for home study.
LearnDirect The government supported initiative. Some online courses seem to require enrolment at an offline study centre! Includes a Managing Volunteers course.
Re-gen See main Training Providers page (bottom section).
Directories and resources
- ItrainOnline (link problem Sep 2013) is a joint initiative of six organisations with expertise in computer
and Internet training in developing countries. Multimedia section includes
- TrainingZone (see Training Resources) runs regular workshops online, and reports back on them.
US and Canada
Were a bit further ahead on sector specific courses, but we're catching up:
- NonProfit Risk Management Center Free online tutorials: Accident Response, Basic Risk Management, Volunteer Risk Management.