Charity Tax Reclaim Services
Follow the trail
We list organisations providing some sort of service in connection with 'tax efficient giving'.
- See page on the reclaim rules, how to do it yourself, manually or using special software.
- Accountancy services for professional advice
- Various online donation facilities are appearing which should be able to do the tax stuff too (but check first)
- Donation processing - response handling for appeals etc.
Most charities will be quite capable themselves of processing claims for tax under Gift Aid - the forms aren't complicated and there is cheap software available. See our reference page. But if you have loads of donations and few staff or volunteers, you might want somebody else to do the transfer of the information (name, payment amount and date) on to the claim form.
Other services offered include Give As You Earn (payroll giving) admin, facilities for donors to make all their charity giving tax efficient eg an account from which you make 'cheque' or card payments. The resulting payments can be quite time consuming to process: record donation, put on claim form or fill in voucher details, send off, reconcile payment when received. You need to make sure you dont reclaim tax (eg by Gift Aid) on donations made by one of these facilities, as it will already have been reclaimed. Also check that these payments are not for merchandise, publications or member benefits (except where this falls within the set allowances). Donors can easily get confused on this if order forms arent clear.
- Charities Aid Foundation (CAF)
is the most well-known, and advertises its various services for charity
givers widely. They offer all sorts of services, as well as promotional
material. Phone 0800 993311
- Charities may receive vouchers, card payments or Standing Orders which need to be processed via CAF. You will usually have to register your charity with CAF to benefit.
- Run Legacy Account and Personal Charitable Trust facilities for
those with substantial personal assets.
- Charity Cheques from
Charity and Voluntary Services is an alternative to CAF but seems to have been downgraded as the main link doesn't work (at May 2011).
Try this page instead. 14 Castle Street, Liverpool, L2 0NJ, phone 0151 236 7728, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charities Trust Payroll
giving and corporate donation management agency. Registered charity
which charges a set administration fee of 25p (at spring 07), with
any surplus money distributed
amongst UK charities annually. Suite 22, Century Building, Brunswick
Business Park, Tower Street, Liverpool. L3 4BJ.
- Dove Trust.
- KKL Executor & Trustee Company,
subsidiary of JNF Charitable Trust. Run a charity voucher scheme. On
Gift Aid processing, they charge 5% of gross claim. 58-70 Edgware Way,
Edgware, Middx, HA8 8GQ, phone 0800 358 3587, email@example.com
- Payroll Giving in Action
puts various charities in front of potential employers/employees. 11a
Litchdon St, Barnstaple, N Devon, EX32 8ND, phone 01271 329001.
Payroll giving etc. Offices in Chelmsford and Loughton (both Essex),
phone 08452 26 26 27.
West) Charitable Giving.
- Your accountants or solicitor can do the tax reclaim for you, at a cost.