European (& Irish) Contacts
Follow the trail
- General EU liaison and information groups.
- Issue-based networks working across Europe.
- European funding related.
- Further EU resources.
We have also added some starting points on Irish Republic contacts.
- EU Parliament and politics: see the Lobby page.
- General UK regional forums - see Local/regional contacts.
This is a listings style page, within Sector Information Sources grouping.
Jargon: NGO = non-governmental organisation. Civil society is now a standard term to include voluntary organisations. More jargon busting on Glossary page.
- European Regional Information for UK You probably need to know something about EU structure to get the best from this site.
- European Commission Representation in the UK 8 Storey's Gate, London, SW1P 3AT, phone 020 7973 1992.
- European Information Association for librarians and information officers specialising in European Union material.
- Europa is the EU information site. See Civil Society section on consulting with, and lobbying by, sector bodies.
- Scotland Europa - intelligence, policy analysis and strategic funding information about the European Union, for Scottish organisations.
- EU Civil Society Contact Group brings together eight large rights and value based NGO sectors: culture, environment, education, development, human rights, public health, social and women.
- Euclid Network "exists to develop, connect and support third sector leaders across Europe in order to make the sector more innovative and professional, at heart of European civil society". Also see Euclid under funding below, which is a separate body.
- European Council for Non-Profit Organisations (CEDAG). "Towards the recognition of non-profit organisations in the European Union." A network of regional and national umbrella bodies from across the EU member states.
- European Citizen Action Service aims to enable NGOs and individuals to make their voice heard with the EU.
- Cooperatives Europe.
- European Foundation Centre.
- European Volunteer Centre. "To unite, represent, promote and defend co-operatives in Europe".
- Volonteurope annual European volunteer conference organised by CSV, also a network.
- Platform - The Platform of European Social NGOs, campaigns for a socially just Europe for all. Many of the following are members.
- Association of Voluntary Service Organisations Lobbies at European level on volunteering issues.
- Federation of International Associations established in Belgium. Includes trade and scientific bodies as well as others.
- European Society of Association Executives.
- VITA Europe "the hub of the European non-profit sector".
- Active Social Policies European Network members are social scientific researchers engaged in research projects related to the development of 'active' welfare states.
- AGE AGE Platform Europe, for older people's organisations.
- Amateo European network for active participation in cultural activities.
- CECODHAS Housing Europe The federation of public, cooperative and social housing.
- CEFEC Confederation of European Social Firms, represents organisations which share the aim of creating work for people with disabilities in social firms.
- Concord European confederation for (overseas) relief and development.
- Culture Action Europe (previously European Forum for the Arts and Heritage).
- ERYICA - European Youth Information and Counselling Agency.
- European Anti-Poverty Network An independent coalition of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and groups involved in the fight against poverty and social exclusion in the Member States of the European Union.
- European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (was Euforic.org).
- European Community Development Network (previously Combined European Bureau for Social Development) promotes social and community development.
- European Council on Refugees and Exiles.
- European Disability Forum Umbrella organisation with 70 European NGOs and 17 National Councils from all of the EU and EEA as members.
- European Environmental Bureau.
- European Network of Credit Unions.
- European Network of (ex-)Users and Survivors of Psychiatry.
- European Public Health Alliance NGO network.
- European Women's Lobby The largest co-ordinating body of national and European non-governmental women's organisations in the EU, with over 2,700 member associations.
- FEANTSA European Federation of National Organisations Working with the Homeless. 1 rue Defacqz, 1000 BRUSSELS, Belgium, email: email@example.com.
- Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL)
- Solidar A human rights and trade union network.
- WAVE A network of European women's non-governmental organisations working in the field of combating violence against women and children.
- Youth Forum The voice of young people in Europe.
- European Social Fund. Try this link or government site for England. Guidance on funding programmes, including 'best practice' on measuring outcomes etc.
- EUCLID for the UK cultural sector. (This is not the same as Euclid Network, for voluntary sector leaders, above.)
- EuropeanGrants.com Ltd (EGL) 'provides a wide range of European Union grant information products to organisations throughout the world'.
- European Foundation Centre.
Regional sources of information and advice on European funding.
The weekly newspaper European Voice published by The Economist Group focuses on the work of the EU institutions.
EurActiv.com is an independent media portal dedicated to European Union affairs.
The number of web sites covering voluntary sector issues has developed since we first put this section together. As there are close links with the UK, we will continue to list useful web pages as we find them.
Active Link "The online network for Irish non profit organisations".
Citizens Information site has some voluntary and community sector news.
Community Workers Co-operative - Promoting and supporting community work as a means of intervention for radical social change.
Volunteer Ireland Promoting, supporting and facilitating voluntary action in the Republic of Ireland. Training course details and volunteer management advice are on the site.
The Wheel aims to "assist the Community and Voluntary Sector to become for itself a powerful voice for change".
Whitebarn Consulting Sandra Velthuis did an excellent job when your editor knew her at London Cycling Campaign!
Youth.ie Portal from National Youth Council.