Areas of Concern
ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT, DEVELOPMENT
- Environmental including Sustainable Development. Also see Resource Extra - Environmental Impact of voluntary organisations.
- Ethical investment/trading: below covers Sustainable Business / Corporate Governance / Responsibility. See Resource Extra - Ethical Investment for the charity perspective.
- International Aid / Development and population issues..
- Social Economy on a Topic Review page.
- Housing, Regeneration, Planning have their own page.
- Areas of Concern home page to go back and find a different category.
Apologies for the crude categories - anything more sophisticated would need more complex software and longer downloads! If you can't find it here, an organisation may be referenced on another VolResource page. Use our links header, or try the search engines.
- Allotments Regeneration Initiative - project closed Oct 2012 but web pages due to live on to 2015.
- Black Environment Network.
- Centre for Human Ecology Think tank which also runs professional development courses.
- Cittaslow is connected with Slow Food movement - a network of (small) towns where it is good to live.
- Community Recycling Network for Scotland, London Community Resource Network.
- Community Woodlands Association - Scotland.
- Campaign to Protect Rural England.
- ENDS Europe's environmental news service.
- Environment Agency Governmental body.
- Environment Wales Partnership of organisations in the voluntary sector.
- Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens.
- Findhorn Foundation Rather too 'new agey' for some, but a good source of ideas and info. on environmental living.
- Friends of the Earth Loads of material, good links page.
- Furniture Re-use Network.
- Green Alliance A parliamentary forum and service for green issues.
- GreenNet Apart from hosting a stack of organisations dealing with green issues, there is an events calendar and bulletin board.
- Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP) London. Phone 020 7799 2244.
- Institute of Science in Society Science sustainability society.
- International Institute for Sustainable Development.
- London 21 is a user-focused sustainability network for London.
- Pesticides Action Network.
- Scottish Environmental Protection Agency.
- Scottish Environment Link - the forum for Scotland's voluntary environment organisations.
- UK Food Group network for non-governmental organisations working on global food and agriculture issues.
- Wildlife Trusts.
- Wildlife and Countryside Link brings together environmental organisations with "common interest in the conservation and enjoyment of the natural and historic environment".
- AccountAbility Institute of social and ethical accountability.
- Ashridge Centre for Business and Society.
- Business in the Community - see our Information Sources page.
- Centre for Business Relationships Accountability Sustainability & Society (at Cardiff University).
- Corporate Watch Radical research and publishing group, aiming to support activism against large corporations.
- Ethical Trading Initiative A variety of companies, voluntary orgs and trade unions working together to promote codes, monitoring on labour conditions etc.
- GATSwatch European flavoured news and critical information on the current WTO negotiations on the General Agreement on Trade in Services.
- Global Reporting Initiative 'a common framework for sustainability reporting'.
- Institute of Business Ethics Aims 'to emphasize the essentially ethical nature of wealth creation', publishes a Code of Business Ethics.
- International Business Leaders Forum.
- International Chamber of Commerce Look under Business in Society.
- mallenbaker.net A personal (but quite broad) look at CSR from the Development Director for Business in the Community.
- Net Impact A US based network of 'emerging business leaders committed to using the power of business to create a better world'.
- Public Concern at Work Help and advice for whistleblowers.
- UN Global Compact (heavy reliance on cookies). Their attempt to get global business to sign up to 9 principles in human rights, labour and environment.
See our Topic Review - Aid and Development for training, codes of conduct, etc.
- AlertNet - a humanitarian news site.
- Communication Initiative Network Selected programmes, data, materials, people, and media sources from communication, development and change organisations.
- Consortium of British Humanitarian Agencies aims to strengthen coordination and capacity
- Development Gateway.
- Directory of Development Organizations International database.
- Doctors of the World (was Medecins du Monde UK).
- Governance and Social Development Resource Centre "aims to help reduce poverty by informing policymaking and enhancing professional knowledge in relation to governance, conflict and social development".
- Institute of Development Studies.
- Make Poverty History.
- Medecins sans Frontieres independent humanitarian medical aid agency.
- Panos Institute 'providing information on global issues with a developing country perspective'.
- Population Reference Bureau has a DataFinder.
- Practical Action. Building technical skills in developing countries (the organisation founded by Dr Schumacher of Small is Beautiful fame).
- Third World Network.
- UN Foundation A good place for international issues generally, including a daily summary of key news stories from around the world, with a special emphasis on the UN.
- Voluntary Service Overseas Email: email@example.com.
- World Development Movement.
World Trade/Capitalism Protests