Areas of Concern
COMMUNITIES AND SOCIAL GROUPINGS
- Areas of Concern home page to find a different category.
- General disabled support groups on Welfare page, specific problems under Self-Help Groups. For homeless groups, see Housing. General equaiities bodies under Human Rights, or see Employment related links.
- Resources for Community Groups.
Apologies for the crude categories - anything more sophisticated would need more complex software and longer downloads! If you can't find it here, an organisation may be referenced on another VolResource page. Use our links header, or try the search engines.
Also see Sub-sector support.
- Campaign Against Racism and Fascism.
- NICEM# Northern Ireland's voice for ethnic minorities.
- Positive Action in Housing is a Scottish organisation..
- United for Intercultural Action A coalition of 500 European organisations working against racism, witha variety of useful materials.
- Age Concern and Help the Aged have merged - see AgeUK.
- Third Age Employment Network works for better opportunities for mature people to continue to learn, work and earn.
- Churches' Community Work Alliance.
- Churches Together in Britain and Ireland.
- Oasis Faithworks "inspires and equips Christians and churches to develop their role at the hub of their community".
- Faith Action network of faith based and community organisations.
- Centre for Separated Families Training, advice and information to professionals, families etc.
- Family Holiday Association Runs project to provide holidays for children in residential care.
- Families Need Fathers.
- Family Lives (previously Parentline Plus) Support to anyone parenting a child.
- Family and Parenting Institute.
- Grandparents Plus has set up an advice line for those bringing up a child who is not their own.
- One Parent Families Scotland.
- Parents for Inclusion "Parents helping parents so their disabled children can learn, make friends and have a voice in ordinary schools and throughout life."
- Single Parent Action Network appears to have become One Space, providing a resource for those parenting alone.
Also see Human Rights/Immigration on Welfare page.
- Asylum Aid Free legal advice and representation.
- Refugee Council.
- Scottish Refugee Council.
- Student Action for Refugees.
- ACRE (Action with Communities in Rural England).
- Action for Market Towns.
- Arkleton Trust.
- Arthur Rank Centre is a focus and resource for the work of the Christian Churches in rural areas.
- Countryside and Community Research Institute.
- Friends Families and Travellers. Has an Emergency Guide, for immediate information on evictions, planning, the law.
- Institute of Rural Health.
- Irish Travellers Movement.
- Rural Community Gateway# For Scotland, from SCVO.
- Rural Community Network# Northern Ireland's version.
- Rural Community Shops (was VIRSA), a project of the Plunkett Foundation, supporting rural areas to develop community-owned shops.
- Rural Cultural Forum "a coalition of grassroots rural and farming community organisations, and professionals from the arts, design and rural media sectors".
- Travellers Aid Trust.
- Traveller Law Reform Project.
- Consortium of lesbian, gay & bisexual voluntary & community organisations.
- London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard.
- Engender Information, research and networking organisation for women in Scotland.
- Abortion Rights.
- Prowess promotes women's enterprise.
- Rights of Women Confidential advice line, training for organisations on essential issues.
- Womens Aid Federation of England. For women and children experiencing physical, sexual or emotional abuse in their homes.
- Women's Resource Centre.
- BASPCAN# British Association for Study and Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.
- British Youth Council Promotes citizenship type issues.
- Children and Young People Monthly web magazine for those working with and caring for children and young people from Social Education Trust.
- Childnet Promoting wide access and quality content for children.
- Children's Play Council has closed down - see Play England instead.
- Children's Rights Alliance for England.
- Children in Wales Umbrella children's organisation in Wales.
- The Children's Society Not just welfare services, but also advocating social justice for children and young people.
- Generation Youth Issues (link problem Nov 2013) Research and development work around young people's peer relations and how they connect with adults.
- Login Internet Cafe A Youth Internet Cafe and ICT Learning Centre in Barrhead - check it out for ideas!
- National Children's Bureau. England.
- National Youth Advocacy Service.
- National Youth Agency.
- Participation Works - partnership of 6 agencies to help organisations "effectively involve children and young people".
- World Association of Girl Guides and Girls Scouts.
- Taking IT Global promoting young people's involvement in ICT for development.
- UNICEF, the international childrens organisation, has many facets in the UK.
- YouthAction# - Northern Ireland. Youth Council Northern Ireland#.